The M’Fingal Inn hosted the original meeting of the Watertown Foundation on October 6, 1925. The foundation records indicate that the meeting was held in “The M’Fingal Bungalow,” presumably an out building of the inn. Built in the 1870’s for the Hamilton Family, it later served as “On the Hill Sanitarium.” Once abandoned, it re-opened as the M’Fingal Inn, named after the patriotic poem by Watertown’s John Trumbull, poet of the American Revolution. As an inn, it was widely considered one of the finest eating establishments in New England.
The property encompassed four acres, bound by Middlebury Road, Hamilton Avenue, Hamilton Lane and Woodbury Road. Demolished in 1952, this majestic inn sat on property that is now Princeton Terrace.